Tasawur Ism e Mohammad
(Contemplation of The Sacred Name of Mohammad)
Mohammad is the Personal Name of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, just as (Allah) is the Personal Name of Allah. Rest of their names are attributive names.
The Personal Name (Mohammad) is most related to his holy self and encompasses all his attributes. So, the Tasawur of this name is the most effective medium to get closer to his holy self and be blessed with his marvellous bounties. Tasawur Ism-e-Mohammad has most pleasant and luminous effects on the Batin (inward) of the Invoker and makes his spiritual elevation faster and easier, and he finds presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam which is the most important inward station before Deedar-e-Elahi. One, who finds presence in the Assembly of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam accomplishes the true faith.
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh has also explained the secrets and effects of Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad. He declares that only that Murshid is perfect who knows the way of Ism-e-Allah Zaat as well as Ism-e-Mohammad. He says that Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad is also necessary in addition to Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat for a seeker to reach the destination of Deedar-e-Elahi (Vision of Allah), Visal (Union of Allah) and presence in the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
In the life of the Holy Prophet, his sacred companions passed all the stages of Gnosis and Divine Knowledge by having the privilege of his closeness, attention and seeing his sacred face. After him, all the seekers of Divine Knowledge, Visal and closeness of Allah find presence in his sacred Assembly through the contemplation of his sacred name and thus get his benevolence. Without his guidance and help no one has ever reached Allah and no one ever will. Unless his sacred attention is gained, neither the soul of a seeker becomes alive nor finds Visal (Union of Allah) and Gnosis.
In this age, the only way to get his benevolence is Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad which takes the seeker spiritually to his Assembly and gives him the honour of having the spiritual company of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and his sacred companions. When a seeker stays in this Assembly with complete devotion, determination and obedience, cutting off from all his material relations and desires, only then he becomes capable of having Gnosis and Union of Allah and reaches the destination of belovedness.
- Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says that Ism-e-Mohammad is created from Ism-e-Allah as Noor-e-Mohammad is created from Noor-e-Elahi. He says;
The explanation of the saying of Holy Prophet (Faqr is my pride) is that the path of Faqr begins with Ism-e-Allah Zaat i.e. Faqeer attains to this status by Ism-e-Allah and Ism-e-Allah is the pride of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. Ism-e-Allah converts into Ism-e-Mohammad as Allah says in a Qudsi Hadith meaning: “(O’ Mohammad!) I am you and you are Me”. This shows that these two names are of the same Divine Self, that is why he said
Meaning: “Faqr is my pride and Faqr is from me”. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
So Ism-e-Mohammad has got all the powers and effects of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, but Ism-e-Allah Zaat has Jalal (Majesty, Wrath) as well as Jamal (Beauty and Benevolence) while Ism-e-Mohammad is only Jamal. It is absolute Rehmat (Bounty and Mercy), so it has more pleasant effects on the Batin (inward) of seeker. By Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad the seeker becomes completely obedient to the laws of Shariat. Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh describes the effects and marvels of Ism-e-Mohammad:
- When a seeker is absorbed in the Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat or Ism-e-Mohammad or Kalma Tayyaba, all his sins hide in the coverlet of Light of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- The person who does Tasawur (contemplation) of Ism-e-Mohammad speaks every word absorbed in Noor-e-Mohammadi. Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad affects the seeker in such a ways that he is blessed with lustrous insight, grand magnificence, company of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, Qulb-e-Saleem (sanctified heart) and sirat-e-mustqeem (the straight path). He (reaches the stage of Fana-Fi-Rasool i.e. annihilation in Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam in such a way that) becomes one with the body and soul of the Holy Prophet. He listens with his ears, sees with his eyes, speaks with his tongue, and walks with his steps. He wears the coverlet of Shariat. Ism-e-Mohammad has four letters () which contains both the worlds. Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad reveals the secrets of both the worlds upon the seeker. (Mohabbat-ul-Asrar)
- When Noor-e-Ism-e-Mohammad (Light of Ism-e-Mohammad) enters the body of a seeker (through Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad), all his jobs are done by (the blessing of) Ism-e-Mohammad. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
- There are four stages of Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad which bless the seeker with four kinds of Divine favour.
- When seeker contemplates Ism-e-Mohammad in his heart, his heart becomes alive and nafs (commanding inner self) is completely dead because this Tasawur dominates (the nafs). At this stage of Fana-Fi-Ism-e-Mohammad the Faqeer (seeker of Allah) becomes perfect.
- When seeker enters the (kingdom of) heart through Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad, he finds presence in the sacred Assembly of Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, sees and recognizes it.
- When the seeker is absorbed completely in Ism-e-Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, secrets of all the creations and the Creator are revealed upon him and is forgiven absolutely, as Allah says;
Meaning: So that Allah may forgive, for your sake (O Mohammad), all the earlier and later sins (of your Ummah). (Al-Fatah-12)
The Possessor of such Tasawur should be a real man, not a human being having qualities of animals.
- One, who finds presence in the sacred Assembly of the Prophet through Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad and is approved by the Prophet through the Knowledge of Divine observation, achieves all his heart’s desires.
The way of Tasawur of Ism-e-Mohammad blesses the seeker with the Divine Knowledge of presence in the Assembly of the Prophet on the very first day, because this Divine knowledge is the witness of the Divine Presence. (Kashaf-ul-Asrar)
Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Mohammad saves the seeker from the evil tricks of Satan and nafs and also from ignorance and misbelief as said by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh:
- Seeker of Allah must get control over his mind and all his thoughts through Tasawur-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad, so that such fire is ablazed in his mind by the Zikr of his heart and soul, which turns him completely against his nafs, Satan and (lusts of) this material world. (Mehek-ul-Faqr)
- Ism-e-Allah has Ism-e-Azam (the grand name of Allah having all His powers) and Ism-e-Mohammad has the Sirat-e-Mustqeem (the right and straight path to Allah).
- When the scholar having the Divine knowledge of Allah annihilates in Ism-e-Mohammad, he becomes favourite of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and all the Auliya (friends of Allah). (Fazalul-Laqa)
- By the contemplation of the Sacred Name of Mohammad the reality of Divine knowledge is acquired. (Kaleed-e-Jannat)
- When one contemplates the Sacred Name of Mohammad, he relinguishes everything except Allah and sees Majlis-e-Mohammadi (the Assembly of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam) everywhere. He becomes humble and modest lover of Holy Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and beloved of Allah Almighty. (Aqal-e-Baidar)
- When a devotee contemplates the Sacred Name of Mohammad, no doubt, the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and his sacred companions come to him spiritually. The Holy Prophet says to him “hold my hands”. The very moment he holds the hands of Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, his heart and soul are illuminated by the Light of Gnosis of Allah.(Kaleed-e-Jannat)
Denier of Ism e Mohammad
About the denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
- The person, who stops from the way of Zikr and Tasawur of Ism-e-Allah Zaat is either hypocrite and nonbeliever or jealous and arrogant. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The denier of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is second Abu Jahal or Pharoah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- One who does not believe in Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad is surely a hypocrite. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)