Allah, the Magnificent, intended to have someone who could see and praise His Divine beauty, and obliterate everything other than Him. For this an incarnated mirror was required in which He could manifest His Divine beauty. This passion results in creation of human. The Holy Prophet is the perfect mirror of the Divine Essence.
Sultan Bahoo says:
- Know! When the light of the One coming out of His isolated Oneness intended to manifest Himself in multiplicity, He graced (all the worlds) with the splendid sight of His pure Divine beauty. Both the realms started burning like a moth on the candle of His blazing beauty. Then, the light of the One concealed in the veil of م (M) of احمد (Ahmad) and manifested Himself as احمد (Ahmad). (Risala Roohi Sharif)
Allah is the light of heavens and earth:
His manifestation as Ahmad is in fact the finest form of Divine light. Allah says in Quran:
اَللّٰہُ نُوۡرُ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ مَثَلُ نُوۡرِہٖ کَمِشۡکٰوۃٍ فِیۡہَا مِصۡبَاحٌ ؕ اَلۡمِصۡبَاحُ فِیۡ زُجَاجَۃٍ ؕ اَلزُّجَاجَۃُ کَاَنَّہَا کَوۡکَبٌ دُرِّیٌّ یُّوۡقَدُ مِنۡ شَجَرَۃٍ مُّبٰرَکَۃٍ زَیۡتُوۡنَۃٍ لَّا شَرۡقِیَّۃٍ وَّ لَا غَرۡبِیَّۃٍ ۙ یَّکَادُ زَیۡتُہَا یُضِیۡٓءُ وَ لَوۡ لَمۡ تَمۡسَسۡہُ نَارٌ ؕ نُوۡرٌ عَلٰی نُوۡرٍ ؕ یَہۡدِی اللّٰہُ لِنُوۡرِہٖ مَنۡ یَّشَآءُ ؕ وَ یَضۡرِبُ اللّٰہُ الۡاَمۡثَالَ لِلنَّاسِ ؕ وَ اللّٰہُ بِکُلِّ شَیۡءٍ عَلِیۡمٌ ﴿ۙ۳۵﴾
Meaning: Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth. The likeness of His light is like a niche wherein is glowing the lamp; the lamp is contained in a crystal globe. This globe is (as dazzlingly bright) as a glittering star. (Allah) lit (this lamp) with the sacred olive tree. It is neither (merely) eastern nor western (rather universal). Its oil is glowing, though no fire has even touched it yet. It is light upon light. Allah takes to (the gnosis of) His light whom He wills. And Allah explains similitudes for (the guidance of) people and Allah is Well Aware of everything. (Al-Nur 35)
Mohammadan light is the foremost manifestation of Divine light:
Prophet Mohammad states in a Hadith:
اَوَّلُ مَا خَلَقَ اللّٰہُ نُوْرِیْ۔
Meaning: First of all, Allah created my light from His Own.
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani says:
- Know that first of all the soul of Prophet Mohammad manifested from the light of Divine beauty, as Allah says, “I manifested the soul of Prophet Mohammad from the Divine light of My Face.” (Sirr al-Asrar-Preface)
Mohammadan light is the origin of universe:
Sayyid Mohammad Zauqi Shah says:
- He is the Divine light that shone earlier than everything else. After that Allah created cosmos from him. In fact he is the origin and soul of universe and the essence of existence. Hence he is the abridgement of all those names and attributes that are detailedly manifested in the universe. In the same way he is the foremost intellect, the Divine light of Prophethood and reality of Prophet Adam as well as all prophets. (Sirr e Dilbaran)
- The reality of Prophet Mohammad is the Divine light. Exoterically, he descended to the physical world in the robe of the Universal Divine Man. Outwardly he is a human but inwardly he is the absolute Divine light. His purest and impeccable humanistic element was one of his greatest attribute. Even his physical being was so incomparably subtle and translucent that he did not have a shadow.
One required esoteric foresight to see Mohammadan light:
This is a fact that one required esoteric foresight to see Mohammadan light, mere physical eyes could not see it. Allah has expressed the inner state of the people who are deprived of esoteric foresight in this verse:
وَتَرَ اھُمْ یَنْظُرُوْنَ اِلَیْک َ وَھُمْ لَا یُبْصِرُوْنَ۔ (الاعراف۔ ۱۹۸)
Meaning: And you see, (they) behold you but behold nothing. (Al-A’raf-198)
All those true lovers of Holy Prophet whose internal eyes have opened are so engrossed in his unprecedented Divine beauty that they feel proud in cutting off their necks for him.
Hassan ibn Thabit states:
- When I watched towards the lustrous lights of Holy Prophet, I covered my eyes with my hands out of fear that my power of sight may not be lost. (Jawahir al-Bihar Vol.2)
The Holy Prophet is ever present in the universe
The unprecedented Divine beauty, which is absolutely manifested in the sacred self of Prophet Mohammad, is from pre-existence till eternity. In his physical life the true seekers of Allah had the privilege to see the Divine beauty. Even after his sacred death, it is impossible that the Divine beauty, for which Allah has created man, could remain hidden from His true seekers. The Holy Prophet is ever present in the universe. He is hidden as well as revealed. The sacred words of Islamic creed (Kalima Tayyibah) “Prophet Mohammad is the messenger of Allah” puts the seal on this fact that he is present and blesses seekers of his beneficence essentially. Thus no one can say that he was the messenger of Allah. If anyone says so then he is unanimously a disbeliever.
Abd al-Karim al-Jili
According to renowned Saints, Prophet Mohammad is present in every era and manifests according to the requirements and conditions prevalent in that age. Abd al-Karim al-Jili says:
- Prophet Mohammad has the power to appear in different physical appearances. So he manifests in the beings of different persons. Common practice is that he manifests in the sacred selves of most accomplished persons of that era so that their magnificence could raise and the peoples’ steadfast inclination towards them could establish. Apparently they are spiritual successors of Prophet Mohammad but actually Prophet Mohammad is their reality. (Al-Insan al-Kamil)
Ibn Arabi says about Mohammadan reality in Fusus al-Hikam wal-Iyqan as:
- After Prophet Mohammad, there will neither be a Prophet nor a Messenger who would bring a new sharia. However, after him, there will always be one ‘perfect’ individual in every era, who will be the manifestation of Mohammadan reality. So he adorns the station of annihilation in the Prophet. That accomplished individual is the Saint of highest level. In every era, one chosen Saint has the privilege of this spiritual rank.
- The Universal Divine Man is the spiritual successor of Prophet Mohammad of his era. Hence, the Universal Divine Man is only one Entity and that is Lord of the Universe Prophet Mohammad who has been manifesting since Prophet Adam till Jesus Christ in the beings of Prophets, Messengers and spiritual successors and after the seal of the Prophethood he will continue to manifest in the beings of al-Ghawth, al-Qutb, al-Abdal and all the friends of Allah each according to his status.
Sayyid Mohammad Zauqi Shah
Sayyid Mohammad Zauqi Shah writes about the manifestation of Mohammadan reality at different times:
- When Allah declares to have a spiritual successor on the Earth then his presence is must in every era. It is mandatory for spiritual successor to have some kind of relevance with the people of his era so that people could achieve perfection through him and carry out the duties of caliphate. With the course of time, state of affairs of people changes. People belong to different eras are not similar in nature. For the very reason formerly manifestation of Mohammadan reality with these attributes was not possible. That was why the (Mohammadan) reality manifests at different times in different beings. Each countenance is distinguished with distinct grandeur and rank. All those countenances are much suitable with their epoch and period. Moreover, they were adorned with all those marvels which are required according to that era. Those countenances are sacred beings of Prophets and their origin is Mohammadan reality.
At another point he says:
- After the seal of Prophethood the absolute Sainthood transferred to the Saints. It will continue till the last Saint. Subsequently this succession will come to an end leading towards the completion of circle. After that the period of doomsday, rising from death, the heaven and the hell will begin. These are the Saints who, due to their perfect submission and devotion to the Holy Prophet, exoterically adorned the status of Universal Divine Man and rose to the exalted post of representative of Allah and vicegerent of the Prophet. Certainly they will be there in every era till the advent of leader of last era. (Sirr e Dilbaran)
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani says:
Exoterically Prophethood has been terminated but its essence will be there till the day of judgement otherwise how and for what the Earth continue to exist. Total numbers of al-abdal on the earth are forty. Some of these esteemed persons have hidden meanings of Prophethood in them. Moreover their hearts are like that of a Prophet’s heart and some out of them are vicegerent of Allah and His Prophets. (Al-Fatah al-Rabbani)
He says at another point:
- In Hadith, “I and my followers are men of inner foresight” Prophet Mohammad indicated that after him perfect spiritual guides will be his successor. They, like the Prophet, will show the right way and will be the men of spiritual sight. They will own perfect Sainthood. In Quran Allah also indicates this by saying وَلِیًّا مُّرۡشِدًا (perfect spiritual guides are my friends). (Sirr al-Asrar chapter 22)
او کلیمؑ و او مسیحؑ و او خلیلؑ
او محمدؐ او کتاب او جبریلؑ
Meaning: He (the Universal Divine Man) is Kalim Allah (Moses), Masih (Jesus Christ) and al Khalillullah (Abraham). He is Prophet Mohammad, the Quran and angel Jibrail.
Who is a perfect spiritual guide?
In every era criterion for a perfect spiritual guide is that Mohammadan reality must manifest in his sacred being. All renowned Saints are unanimous at the point that if a disciple could not observe Mohammadan reality manifested in his perfect spiritual guide then it is obvious that his spiritual guide is imperfect and he should look for a perfect spiritual guide who could lead him to Allah. It should be noted that the Mohammadan reality manifests in the being of that spiritual guide only who have passed through the levels of annihilation in spiritual guide, annihilation in Prophet and annihilation in Allah.
In the words of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani says:
A person, whose absolute obedience establishes with the Holy Prophet, the Prophet clothed him his armor, puts his sword around his neck, and awards him the robe of his manners and traits. Furthermore the Holy Prophet pleases at his extraordinary abilities among his umma and thanked to Allah almighty. Then he appoints him as his successor, a guide and a person who will call people toward the way to Allah.
Allah’s decree arrived and after the sacred death of Prophet Mohammad, Allah for his beloved Prophet, appointed such individuals among his umma who were his ardent successors. And those are only one or two among lacs. They guide the people and are their true well-wishers. They not only bear the pains given by the people but also keep smiling at the faces of hypocrites and impious. Altogether they adopt different ways so that they could get them free from hypocrisy and transgression and took them towards the doorstep of Allah. (Al Fatah al-Rabbani, Chapter-23)
In the words of Sultan Bahoo:
In Aqal-e-Beydar Sultan Bahoo says:
- Since, Mohammadan light manifested from Divine light, then from Mohammadan light entire creation came into being. Hence, the essence of man is light. When due to pious deeds, his innerself (an-nafs), inward and soul completely turn into light, he becomes Universal Divine Man.
At another point he says:
- Fakir is beloved of the Prophet and the Divine lover of Allah and Prophet Mohammad is his lover. At this point the Divine lover, beloved and love become one entity. When there is no room left for further union, then how could separation from the beloved interfere? These levels belong to those who annihilate in Allah, annihilate in the Prophet and annihilate in the spiritual guide.
Status of Rabia of Basra and Bayazid basatami
He says in Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan:
- The soul and the secret of a Mystic immortal with Allah is also Divine light and he belongs to the secrets of Divine light. When a Mystic immortal with Allah achieves the level of immortality then certainly he recognizes his Holy Lord from immortality. After that, he neither has lust nor desire of making seekers and disciples. These are the statuses of Mystics immortal with Allah at which Rabia of Basra and Bayazid Basatami were stationed.
Have not you recognize yet that your innerself is Yazid and your soul is Bayazid. The friend of Yazid is the foe of Bayazid. Seekers of the world are Yazid and men possessing Mohammadan Faqr are Bayazid. Only he is the perfect spiritual guide of this path who has association to origin, and he does not know any way except Divine name and Essence, annihilation in Allah, immortality with Allah, observation of Oneness of Allah, immersion in Allah and Divine presence .And he does not invoke any dhikr (invocation) other than invocation of personal name of Allah.
When Faqr is accomplished that is Allah
Sultan Bahoo says:
- The person who has annihilated in Allah ultimately reaches at the station of immortality. And the one who reaches at the level of immortality, his being transforms into Divine light. After that he does not see himself as none of the sins is greater than vanity. A person, who is aware of the level of Divine secret, remains busy in study of inward and observation of all stations reveals upon to him. This is the level of
اِذَا تَمَّ الۡفَقۡرُ فَھُوَ اللّٰہ
Meaning: When Faqr is accomplished that is Allah
Fakir who is stationed at this level is like a falcon that is soaring high. When a man of jamiat reaches at utmost perfection with the help of invocation and solicitude then he becomes a man of alchemic sight. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Captain W.B Siyal
Captain W.B Siyal writes in his book Roohaniyat aur Islam:
On reaching the level of annihilation in Allah, a believer drowns in the ocean of the Divine Essence and attributes. Here he acquires all the Divine attributes according to the Qudsi Hadith:
بِیْ یَسْمَعْ وَیُبْصَرْ
Meaning: I become his ears and eyes.
The Holy Prophet also pointed out this level in the Hadith:
تَخَلْقَوْ ابِاَخْلَاقِ اللّٰہِ تَعَالٰی
Meaning: Get attributed with the attributes of Allah.
When the believer returns from annihilation towards immortality after being attributed with all Divine attributes then he is crowned as the Universal Divine Man and becomes the representative of Allah. This is the highest level of human elevation and is specific for the Holy Prophet. This is also the highest level of slavehood because if the Fakir stays at the level of fana, he drowns forever (i.e. to achieve immortality he has to return towards slavehood in spite of being one with Allah)
مردِ حق باز آفریند خویش را
جز بہ نورِ حق نہ بیند خویش را
بر عیارِ مصطفیٰؐ خود را زند
تا جہانے دیگرے پیدا کند
Explanation: The Universal Divine Man first creates himself. He only sees Divine light whenever he looks at his sacred self. He (the Universal Divine Man) at first annihilates himself in the sacred self of Prophet Mohammad then creates a new world. This means that whatever he does, he does it at the footsteps of Prophet Mohammad. And whatever he creates becomes the world of Prophet Mohammad.
مردِ حُر از “لَآ اِلٰہ” روشن ضمیر
می نہ گردد بندۂ سلطان و میر
Explanation: The freeborn man (the Universal Divine Man) is an enlightened personality due to his absolute beliefs and practice of La Illah (there is no God but Allah). He never becomes slave of any Sultan or Amir but remains slave of Allah, the One, and Prophet Mohammad only.
ما کلیسا دوست، ما مسجد فروش
او زِ دستِ مصطفیٰؐ پیمانہ نوش
Explanation: We are friends of church and seller of mosques. The freeborn man takes goblet from the hands of Prophet Mohammad. Meaning thereby we are lovers of western culture and civilization, adopter of European customs and manners and sellers of religion. Whereas, he (the Universal Divine Man) drinks wine of Prophet Mohammad’s intense love and directly benefits from Prophet Mohammad.
In Sarwari Qadri order, when seeker annihilates in Hoo, there remains nothing in his outward and esoteric self but Hoo. Then he reaches at the status of:
ہمہ اوست در مغزو پوست
Meaning: Flesh and bones, physical and esoteric beings possess nothing but Allah.
Now, he becomes the Fakir who is master of universe and the Universal Divine Man. He is the perfect and accomplished spiritual guide possessing light of guidance.
Such a person is always present in universe who is spiritual successor of the Prophet. This means, in every era, the Mohammadan Reality changes its countenance in the form of his descendants, caliphs and successors.
Moreover he says:
The Universal Divine Man becomes the ultimate manifestation and reflection of Allah. Moreover he reflects the light of the Divine Essence as well as all His names, attributes and actions. He possesses all the Divine attributes and virtues.
A Hadith states:
قَلْبُ الْمُوْمِنِ عَرْشُ اللّٰہِ تَعَالیٰ
Meaning: The inward of the believer (Mumin) is the Throne of Allah.
لَایَسْعُنِیْ اَرْضِ وَلَا سَمَائی وَلَکِنْ یَسْعُنِیْ قَلْبُ عَبْدِ الْمُؤْمِنْ
Meaning: Neither the earth can contain Me nor the skies but only the inward of a Mumin can possess Me. (Qudsi Hadith)
بشکلِ شیخ دیدم مصطفیٰؐ را
ندیدم مصطفیٰؐ را بل خدا را
Explanation: I saw Prophet Mohammad in the sacred being of my spiritual guide. I saw not only Prophet Mohammad but Allah also.
Rumi explains it with the help of an example. He says if we light a lamp with the help of a candle. Afterwards light more lamps from the first lamp. It is same as if we light the last lamp from the first candle. From this example it is much clear that as esoteric light has its origin from Mohammadan light then all those persons who have been annihilated in Prophet, their inner had light of Mohammadan candle.
This can also be explained with the help of another example, when a person takes oath of allegiance at the hand of a spiritual guide, his spiritual guides’ hand is also in the hand of his own spiritual guide and so on. Ultimately the last spiritual guide’s hand of this chain will be in the hand of Prophet Mohammad.
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani says:
Apparently there is no Prophet among you whom you could obey. If you obey those who are ardent followers of Prophet Mohammad (the perfect spiritual guides) hence you saw and followed Prophet Mohammad. (Al-Fatah al-Rabbani, Chapter-14)
Tehreek Dawat-e-Faqr invites you to become a part of it and recognize the Divine Universal Man of present era by the dikhr (invocation) and tasawur (contemplation) of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman says about invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat:
There is no interference of satanic illusions and deceit in the contemplation and invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
May we become ardent lover of Allah and His beloved Prophet and get strength to walk on the footsteps of His absolute followers.
“Ba Shakl-e-Shaikh Dedam Mustafa Ra” is an Urdu article of the magazine “Mahnama Sultan-ul-Faqr Lahore” for the month of November, 2019. Originally penned by Faiza Gulzar Sarwari Qadri is presently in English by Faiza Gulzar Sarwari Qadri exclusively for the website. Do not forget to visit the original article to which you only have to click the link https://www.mahnama-sultan-ul-faqr-lahore.com/november-2018-ba-shakl-e-sheikh-dedam-mustafa/
Do leave a comment or query as we would like to hear from you and for support hit the like button.