The Holy Prophet is the benefactor of mankind, mercy of both worlds, comfort of heart and soul. Allah sent His beloved Holy Prophet with a complete code of attainment of His gnosis. Islam is a complete religion, a comprehensive code of life and a universal school of thought, both individually and collectively. Whether it be an individual or a group, unless they fully adopt all rules and regulations (exoterically and esoterically), they are considered outside the circle of Islam. And how can someone like that be a true follower of the Holy Prophet? Allah says:
- O believers! Enter Islam perfectly and wholly, and do not follow in the footsteps of Satan. He is certainly your declared enemy. (2:208)
To fully enter Islam means to accept it by obeying all exoteric and esoteric commands of Allah. As religion is the name of fulfilling the commands of Allah both exoterically and esoterically. Exoteric is related to the realm of bodies while esoteric is related to the realm of Divinity. Remember that the realm of bodies is a means of attaining the true purpose of life (Divine gnosis and vision of Allah in the realm of Divinity) and it is not a destination. Therefore, there are some rules and regulations that apply upon man in the realm of bodies which are guarantees of being successful in the realm of Divinity.
The one who attains the purpose of life is a true follower. Hence, all Prophets before the Holy Prophet prayed to be his follower so they could get Divine vision. We can find it mentioned in the Holy Quran from the incident of Moses. When Moses wished for Divine Vision and prayed “O Lord, show me (Your Beauty) so that I may savour Your Sight.” (7:143)
Sultan Bahoo says:
Sultan Bahoo narrates this incident in his book Ain-ul-Faqr in the inspirational style of a Mystic:
- The special theophany is that which manifests due to the pain of Divine love. When Prophet Moses requested Allah for His vision as mentioned in the Quran, “O Lord! Show me (Your beauty) so that I may savour Your sight.” Allah replied, “O Moses! You have behaved impudently in My court. I have promised that unless My beloved Prophet Mohammad and his umma behold Me, I will not show My beauty to anyone.” Prophet Moses did not listen to these words out of his passion for the Divine vision and insisted, “O Holy Lord! Show me (Your beauty) so that I may savour Your splendid sight.” Allah said, “O Moses! I will manifest My theophany but you do not have the strength to behold it.” Prophet Moses replied, “I will behold it O Allah.” Then Allah said, “Well! Then come to Mount Sinai, say two units of supererogatory prayer and sit respectfully.” When Moses did as ordered, Allah descended His theophany due to which Mount Sinai crushed into pieces and Prophet Moses fainted. He remained unconscious for three days and nights, as Allah says, “And Moses fell down unconscious.” Allah said, “O Moses! I warned you that you do not have the strength to behold Me.” Then Allah added, “I blessed you with the theophany of My light but you could not bear it. You fainted and disclosed My secret. However in the last era, My such men will be born in the umma of Prophet Mohammad that I will shower the theophanies of My light thousand times a day upon them but they will not transgress even a little. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Ibn Abbas relates
“Do you not like that Prophet Abraham is the friend of Allah, Prophet Moses conversed with Allah and Prophet Mohammad beheld Allah.” (Mustadrak 216)
Abu Sa’id al-Khudri narrates: Prophet Mohammad said, “You will definitely see your Lord.” We asked the Prophet, “Will we really see our Lord!” The Prophet said, “Do you feel it difficult to see the midday sun?” We all said, “No.” He further said, “Do you feel it difficult to see the full moon?” We again replied, “No!” Then he said, “You will not feel difficulty in seeing your Lord like the sun and the moon.” (Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal 11137)
As mentioned earlier, Divine gnosis and vision is the special factor because of which prophets left their prophethood and prayed to be a follower of the Holy Prophet. Whoever recites Shahada while believing in Oneness of Allah and prophethood of the Holy Prophet will become a follower. Now the question is, will every person who recites Shahada be blessed with God’s blessing?
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says “There are three levels of shahada. The beginner recites it verbally, seeker at middle level verifies it inwardly while the one at final level annihilates himself and gains immortality with Allah.” (Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen)
In Shahada, a person declares that there is no God but Allah and the Holy Prophet is the true prophet of Allah. Shahada cleanses the human existence from ignorance and darkness, the one who purifies the soul, the one who settles the heart and the one who brings the soul closer to Divine gnosis by illuminating it with the unveilings of Allah Almighty.
The Holy Prophet says:
- There are many who recite shahada verbally but only a few recite it sincerely.
- Allah will forbid hellfire upon everyone who testifies inwardly, “There is no God but Allah, Mohammad is the Messenger of Allah.” (Bukhari 128)
- Nothing remains hidden in this world and hereafter from the one who reaches the reality of first part of shahada i.e. negation (لَآ اِلٰہَ ) of everything except Allah. The person who finds the crux and reality of negation, all the stations of affirmation (اِلَّا اللّٰہُ) are disclosed upon him and he becomes the spiritual confidant of Prophet Mohammad (مُحَمَّدٌ رَّسُوْلُ اللّٰہِ). (Sufism-The Soul of Islam)
This is the real reason for the plight of the Muslim umma today. We read Shahada with the tongue and consider it sufficient, but we turn away from reading Shahada inwardly. Today’s Muslim does not trust in Allah, the true God, but he has thousands of idols in his heart and he has attached his hopes to them. For some, their children are their idols, for some it is their wife, respect, fame, wealth, business, parents, relatives, etc. Whereas the Holy Prophet commands: “Confess with the tongue and affirm with inward”.
Sultan Bahoo says:
- If one’s inward does not verify shahada then reciting it merely by tongue will not benefit him. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Reality of Shahada
Therefore, Shahada is a confession of worship and servitude of Lord Almighty Allah. One cannot get knowledge of umma of the Holy Prophet without attaining this status. Here we come to the conclusion that a person becomes a Muslim after reciting Shahadah and joins the Holy Prophet’s umma. But until he confirms this Shahada with his inward, he will not be able to gain the knowledge of his self, the reality of Shahada and mysteries of divine knowledge contained in it. Apart from this, there are some important beliefs and factors, by denying which a person will be considered excluded from the circle of Islam.
Denial of Eternal Life of the Holy Prophet
- Jabir ibn Abd Allah relates that the Holy Prophet said: O’ Jabir, indeed Allah created the Noor of your Prophet before everything else. (The Mohammadan Reality)
- Further, tells the Holy Prophet: I am from Allah’s Noor and all the creation is from my Noor. (The Mohammadan Reality)
It is a Qudsi Hadith that Allah Himself told the Holy Prophet “If it was not for you (O My beloved Mohammad) I would not have created the universe.”
When the creation of the universe was from Mohammadan Light, how is it possible that after the departure of the Messenger of Allah, that light ended? Keep in mind that this whole universe and everything in it exists because of Mohammadan Light. And when Allah will pull back this Light, the universe and everything in it will end. It is a pity that there is a group of Muslims that accepts the Holy Prophet as last prophet in physical terms but denies the reality of his esoteric existence. This belief is that the Holy Prophet came to this world as the last prophet and he gave humanity an exoteric code of life and departed from this world just like all the prophets that came before. Such a group refuses to accept the esoteric life of Holy Prophet.
- Abu Darda relates that the Holy Prophet said “Indeed! Allah has made it haram for the earth to decay the bodies of the Prophets. Each Prophet of Allah is alive in his grave and is provided sustenance.”
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says “Not only is the Holy Prophet (pbuh) alive, the Mohammadan Assembly is still present just like it was when the Holy Prophet was physically alive with the Holy Companions. Lovers and Saints gain presence in Mohammadan Assembly and receive beneficence from it.”
Sultan Bahoo says:
- You must know that a nation follows its leader so a true Muslim is the one who follows Prophet Mohammad completely and reaches the sacred assembly following his every step. I am surprised at the people who do not know the way to attaining presence in Mohammadan Assembly and do not even seek it from the perfect Mystics due to their conceit, immodesty and arrogance. Whosoever is not approved by the Holy Prophet cannot be called a believer or even a Muslim. He can never be a Fakir, Dervish or a religious scholar and should not be considered a follower of Prophet Mohammad. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- How can such a person be considered a Muslim, faithful or a follower of the Holy Prophet who does not believe that the Holy Prophet is alive! No doubt, such a person is a liar, faithless and a hypocrite. The Holy Prophet said “A liar does not belong to my umma”. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Proof of the Holy Prophet’s Eternal Life in Shahada
If we focus on the meaning of Shahada, Allah clearly said “Mohammad (pbuh) is Allah’s Prophet” He did not say “Mohammad (pbuh) was…” In other words, the Holy Prophet is the messenger of all times, that which has passed, that which is passing, and that which will come. Hence the Holy Prophet is not only alive esoterically in this universe but he also fulfills the needs of his umma. And whoever denies this is a denier of the belief in the end of Prophethood.
- Ibn Abbas says that Allah said to Holy Prophet “O Mohammad (pbuh)! Where I am mentioned, you are also mentioned. Whoever mentions me, but does not mention you, has no share in Paradise.” (Darr Manshur, Volume 6)
Proof of the Holy Prophet’s Eternal Life in Salah
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says explaining the Holy Prophet being alive:
- During the prayer, Muslims say Tashahhud “اسلام علیک ایہا النبی” meaning: “Salutations upon you O’ Prophet”. The Arabic word “علیک” is used for the person who is present. While “علیہ” is used for the absent one. When we say salutations in Tashahhud, it is only with the faith that the Holy Prophet is alive, present and receiving our salutations. Rather, we believe that he is present in every bit or particle of the universe. The people who are the deniers of the life of the Holy Prophet dare to replace the word “علیک” with “علیہ” in their prayers, they would then must be facing the consequences and would be proclaimed as non-Muslims like the Ahmadis. (The Mohammadan Reality)
Sultan Bahoo says:
- Whoever does not believe in the life of the Holy Prophet, is disgraced in both the worlds. Only that person denies the eternal life of the Prophet and considers him dead whose faith has been confiscated by Satan and whose inward has darkened. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed)
Proof of the Holy Prophet’s eternal life in Shab e Miraj
Shab e Miraj is also a shining example of the eternal life of the Holy Prophet (pbuh).
When Allah called the Holy Prophet up to the skies, meaning when the Holy Prophet physically left this universe for some time, the whole universe turned still similar to how the body becomes still when soul goes away. The Holy Prophet is the soul and light of this universe and everything in it so how is it possible that he leaves and this universe and its system continues? Undoubtedly the Holy Prophet is present in his esoteric form rather he is helping those in need. And whoever does not believe in this is not a true follower!
Reverence of the People of Cloak and Companions
Good manners towards People of Cloak and Companions are the fulfillment of faith. Therefore, in the matter of these pure souls, one should always respect Allah and the Holy Prophet (pbuh). Allah says about the high ranks and purity of People of Cloak “Allah only intends to remove all the impurity of sins from you and make you absolutely pure and clean.” (33:33)
Compulsory to Love People of the Cloak
Allah Almighty has made it compulsory for the Holy Prophet’s umma to love People of the Cloak. He says:
- Say: ‘I do not ask for any recompense for this (preaching the faith), but (seek) love for (my) kindreds (and Allah’s nearness).’ (42:23)
- Jabir ibn Abdullah narrates that once the Prophet said, “One who possesses these three things, neither he belongs to me nor I belong to him: enmity against Ali, enmity against the People of Cloak and restricting the faith to verification by tongue only.” (Daylami)
The Companions are the best people of the Holy Prophet’s (pbuh) umma. They directly received the beneficence of Faqr from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and they are, after him, a beacon of guidance that unites his Umma in obedience to Allah and the Holy Prophet (pbuh). The Holy Prophet said “My Companions are like the stars. Whoever you follow, will guide you.” (Mashkat)
- Umar relates that the Holy Prophet said “Have regard for my Companions because they are the best in my umma.” (Imam Abu Naeem)
- Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. This is the highest achievement. (5:119)
Therefore, speaking ill of the Companions, slandering them, attributing any falsehood to them, or using foul language are signs of utter infidelity, rebellion and hypocrisy, and Allah does not like the rebellious. So if Allah does not like them, how will the Holy Prophet look upon them with mercy?
Ahmad ibn Hanbal says:
- When you see a person speaking ill of the Companions of the Prophet (pbuh), consider his faith doubtful. (Fazail-e-Sahaba)
Ismail al-Nishapuri says:
- And the one who hated the Companions, spoke ill of them, and attributed to them the slanderous things that the disbelievers and outsiders who deserve the curse of Allah attribute to them, perished. (Fazail-e-Sahaba)
Love and Compassion
Moral character and humanity are very important in Islam. A person who belongs to any religion or race, his rights are obligatory on a Muslim. Similarly, love and compassion, politeness and respect have been emphasized towards people belonging to any age. In other words, it has been urged to the elders that if you meet children, treat them with compassion, if you want to explain something, explain it gently in a low voice. Children and youth are commanded to respect their elders. Allah says “And someone whom We give long life, We cause him to degenerate (towards childhood and debility) in strength and disposition. So, do they not have sense?” (36:68)
The Holy Prophet says:
- Respecting the elderly is a part of respecting Allah. (Abu Dawud)
- If a young man respects an old man because of his old age. Allah appoints someone for this young man who will respect him in his old age. (Tirmidhi)
It is recorded in tradition that the Holy Prophet had a glorious Companion Zayd ibn Thabit who lived a long life. Once in his old age, Zayd ibn Thabit attended a Companions funeral.
When he was about to leave after the funeral, Ali ibn Abbas, who was the Holy Prophet’s cousin, moved quickly and put his blessed hands under Zayd ibn Thabit’s feet so that he would not feel inconvenience in getting on his ride. Zayd ibn Thabit asked “Why are you doing this?” he answered “Our Holy Prophet told us this is how to treat elders.” Zayd ibn Thabit, despite being old, kissed Ali ibn Abbas’s hands with kindness. When questioned, he said “Our Holy Prophet told us this is how to treat People of the Cloak”. How can one who does not show compassion to the young and respect the elders be entitled to the Holy Prophet’s (pbuh) blessings? The Holy Prophet clearly said in Hadith “He is not one of us who does not show mercy to our little ones and respect to our elders”. (Tirmidhi)
Fraud and adulteration
Islam has prohibited buying and selling by cheating and adulteration.
- The Holy Prophet passed by a pile of food. He put his fingers in it and felt wetness. He said: ‘O owner of the food! What is this?’ He replied: ‘It was rained upon O Messenger of Allah.’ He said: ‘Why not put it on top of the food so the people can see it?’ Then he said: ‘Whoever cheats, is not one of us.’ (Tirmidhi 1315)
The Holy Prophet says:
- Those who cheat, deceive and betray will go to hell. (Mukashifat-ul-Quloob)
- Cheating, breach of promise and dishonesty are all causes of punishment in hell. (Hakim)
Al-Ghazali says “If you want to be answered, do not put even a morsel of Haram in your stomach”.
Pride and arrogance
In a Qudsi Hadith Allah says “Pride is My cloak and majesty is My garment. Whoever competes with Me regarding either of them shall be cast into the hellfire.” Arrogance is a bad trait that isolates a person from Allah. The Holy Prophet said “A person whose heart has even a speck of arrogance will not enter Paradise.” (Kimiya-e-Sa’adat)
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says “Arrogance is such a dangerous spiritual disease that if it is present in the inward of a person even in the least quantity equivalent to a mustard seed then no devotion is accepted at all in the court of Allah.
So it is important to know that arrogance is the attribute of Satan and this attribute is what cursed him. Arrogance whether on knowledge, wealth, lineage or appearance, destroys the worldly life and the hereafter of a Muslim. Because an arrogant person makes himself a partner with Allah and fights Him, then how can such a person be the umma of the Holy Prophet? Whereas the Holy Prophet has said “Allah has ordered me to be humble and modest.” (Kimiya-e-Sa’adat)
Lies, Hypocrisy and Ingratitude
- Allah does not give guidance to the one who is a liar and highly ungrateful. (39:3)
Lying is the root of all spiritual diseases, it gives rise to spiritual diseases such as hypocrisy and backbiting. A lie darkens a person’s outward as well as his inward so much that he denies the truth. Allah says about such people “And who can be a greater wrongdoer than one who invents a lie against Allah or who belies His revelations? Surely, the wrongdoers will not prosper”. (6:21)
- The Holy Prophet said “A believer can be born with all kinds of traits, but he is not born with lies and betrayal.” (Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal)
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says “Lying is the mother of all evils. It deprives one from the compassion of Allah and Allah curses the liar.” (Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen)
- The Holy Prophet says “Lying is actually a part of hypocrisy.” (Ihya al-Uloom) (Volume III)
Indeed, the hypocrite is the fuel of hell and will be thrown into the lowest level of hell. Allah has attributes of “The Compassionate” and “The Ever Forgiving” by which he forgives sins of his men. And the Holy Prophet is the lord and mercy of all worlds. Not every believer will immediately go to hell if he tells even a small lie. How come Allah and the Holy Prophet dislike lies? There is a hadith related to this “Beware of telling a lie, for telling a lie leads to obscenity and obscenity leads to Hell-Fire. And the person who keeps lying and endeavors to tell a lie is recorded as a liar with Allah.” (Muslim 2607)
So, lying gets so embedded in the veins and existence of one who constantly lies, that he cannot accept the truth. Such a person is written as a liar before Allah. How can a liar and hypocrite be a true follower of the Holy Prophet!
Arrogance and Worldly Love
- Ali ibn Abi Ṭalib relates that the Holy Prophet said “I am more afraid of two things for my umma. One is arrogance and the other is worldly love. The arrogance will turn them away from the right path and longing will remove fear of judgement day from their hearts.” (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Sultan Bahoo says “How can a person who abandons righteousness and becomes a slave of arrogance be a true follower of the Holy Prophet according to Allah’s verdict? (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Long desires are born out of worldly love. And worldly love is a trait of the inciting self which is the root of all evil. The Holy Prophet said “Leave the world to the worldly people. Whoever takes more than enough in the world has taken his own death and he does not understand”. (Mukashifat-ul-Quloob)
- Someone said to the Holy Prophet “O’ Prophet of Allah! What is the cause of problem in your umma?” He said “Rich people”. (Mukashifat-ul-Quloob)
- Those people will be dirtier and smellier than the dead who enjoy the world but do not spend their wealth in the way of Allah. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Abundance of wealth, arrogance on lineage are Satan’s weapons and they blind a person so much that he does not see the truth. Battle of Karbala is a living example of worldly love. The people bloodthirsty of Husayn ibn Ali had all recited shahada but were inwardly blind. Worldly love had destroyed their vision, they could not recognize the perfect spiritual guide. The reason for their blindness was their attachment to this world, its greed and arrogance. Due to which these cursed people did not pledge allegiance to Husayn ibn Ali. But accepted to spoil their destiny by accepting Satan’s possessions.
- Sultan Bahoo says “It is very difficult being a part of the Holy Prophet’s umma. A true follower is a pure believer. He is not one who follows Satan suffers from worldliness, greed, malice and hypocrisy.” (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
As a part of the Holy Prophet’s umma, we have to ponder whether we are so deep in the world that we forgot the Imam of our time. Because the Holy Prophet says “He died a death of ignorance, whose neck does not have the collar of servitude of a perfect spiritual guide”. Human existence is a combination of inward and outward and correctness of both is necessary for success in the hereafter. If someone thinks only outward correctness is necessary, it is a wrong view. As the innerself is a thief in your inward who keeps trying to mislead the Holy Prophet’s umma. And no one can keep themselves safe from it. Similarly Satan swore to mislead mankind in front of Allah. Only the perfect spiritual guide can keep us safe with the order of Allah and the Holy Prophet.
Allah said clearly to Satan about the perfect spiritual guide in the Holy Quran “Assuredly, you will not be able to overpower those who are My servants, and your Lord is Sufficient to protect and help these (friends of Allah)”. (17:65)
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is the perfect spiritual guide of the present era. He is the Saint of all worlds and on steps of the Holy Prophet. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen grants his disciples the contemplation of greatest name of Allah and the final stage of invocation to free them from the slavery of arrogance. So, every seeker in his company that contemplates Ism-e-Allah Zaat gains purity from arrogance and worldly love. And returns to Mohammadan Light which is the goal of every true follower.
Undoubtedly, no one is more compassionate and gracious than Allah and the Holy Prophet is mercy for all worlds. Therefore, one should not be despair about Allah’s mercy because He always keeps open the way for His people to come to Him in the form of repentance. The purpose of this article is in no way to criticize who is a part of the Holy Prophet’s umma and who is not. But its purpose is to invite the Holy Prophet’s umma to ponder about achieving Mohammadan Faqr. And to spread awareness of the purpose of life so that they can be successful in the Holy Prophet’s court on the Day of Judgement.
Ignorance is no excuse
Remember! Ignorance is no excuse with Allah. If a person thinks that on the Day of Judgement he will present the excuse before Allah that he was ignorant of His guidance. And he could not recognize the perfect spiritual guide with his inward, so he was unable to fully enter Islam. Allah will never accept such an excuse. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen, as the leader of our time, did not leave any means of communication to call the people to the right path. He fulfilled the need to convey truth to Allah’s people by using technology in accordance with the modern requirements. Through social and digital media, websites, books and magazines. Now if a person does not accept guidance due to arrogance, worldly love and evil whispers and becomes disobedient, then Allah does not need them. Allah says in the Holy Quran:
- And those who strive hard for Our cause, We certainly guide them to Our ways. (29:69)
Let’s pledge allegiance to today’s perfect spiritual guide Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen to achieve success in religion and world. And attain the blessing of invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
1.Who is considered a true follower of the Holy Prophet?
Ans. The one who attains the purpose of life is a true follower. Hence, all Prophets before the Holy Prophet prayed to be his follower so they could get Divine vision. We can find it mentioned in the Holy Quran from the incident of Moses. When Moses wished for Divine Vision and prayed “O Lord, show me (Your Beauty) so that I may savour Your Sight.” (7:143)
2. Does everyone who recites shahada become a true follower of the Holy Prophet?
Ans. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen says “There are three levels of shahada. The beginner recites it verbally, seeker at middle level verifies it inwardly while the one at final level annihilates himself and gains immortality with Allah.” (Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen)
The Holy Prophet says:
- There are many who recite shahada verbally but only a few recite it sincerely.
Sultan Bahoo says:
- If one’s inward does not verify shahada then reciting it merely by tongue will not benefit him. (Ain-ul-Faqr)3.What are major sins in Islam?
Ans. Some of the major sins include:
- Reverence of the Pure People of Cloak and Companions
- Worldly love